2010 Event Media Release - My Mutation
Print this page
Media Release: Monday 12 July, 2010
Sydney Opera House launches
MY MUTATION - Online dance competition
Today, Sydney Opera House, in collaboration with YouTube, launches the online dance competition, My Mutation. A huge hit last year with over 97,000 visits from more than 100 countries and territories, this year’s competition will run from 12 July to 14 September.
Consisting of three rounds, the choreographic challenge will be set by Kate Champion, Artistic Director of one of Australia’s leading dance companies Force Majeure.
Kate Champion says, “As much as I admire strong dance technique I am also fascinated by unusual qualities certain people possess that compel you to want to watch them. When someone is deeply immersed in the act of dancing, when it almost seems to be driving them rather than the other way around - when their charm, their peculiar and unique style grabs and holds your attention - this intrigues me and is a quality I look for every time I watch dance. This is one of the main reasons I was attracted to My Mutation - the chance to see who might be out there in the ether with qualities that for some inexplicable reason make you unable to take your eyes off them.”
Here’s how it will work:
• Round one runs from 12 July until 10 August. Log on to Sydney Opera House’s YouTube channel www.youtube.com/sydneyoperahouse to see a 20 second solo work choreographed by Kate Champion and performed by Joshua Mu with music composed by Drew Crawford. Entrants must create a 40-second dance solo, with the first 20 seconds being their interpretation of Kate’s piece. The final 20 seconds is their chance to dance in their own style.
• The first person to enter and post their solo on YouTube will also receive a SONY ‘bloggie’ HD snap camera.
• On 16 August, ten round-one winners will be announced, with a standout solo nominated by Kate.
• Round Two: the next challenge for winners of Round One is to create a 60-second dance clip. Using dramatic new music and tempo, they will have to again interpret the original solo, plus interpret the standout solo from Round One and finish with an additional 20 seconds in their own style.
• On 1 September five round two winners will be announced, with a standout solo nominated by Kate
• Round three kicks off on 1 September. The top five finalists are asked to create an 80-second dance clip, again interpreting the original solo and second standout solo, finally adding their own 40-second dance solo at the end.
• Public votes will decide the final winner from the final round for their favourite dancer by casting their votes through the Sydney Opera House YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/sydneyoperahouse
• The winner will score the ultimate prize of rehearsing with Kate Champion to bring their unique performance to life at the screening of Footloose on September 26. In addition to the thrill of performing live at Sydney Opera House, the winner will receive $2,000, a SONY HD flash Handycam camcorder as well as a SONY ‘Bloggie’ HD snap camera
The competition is open to anyone from around the world. So, look at the video at www.youtube.com/sydneyoperahouse, get out your video camera or your mobile phone and get dancing.
My Mutation is part of the 2010 Spring Dance Festival – a three week dance celebration at Sydney Opera House from 31 August – 26 September. The full program can be viewed at www.sydneyoperahouse.com/springdance
Round 1: 12 Jul – 10 Aug. Round 1 winners announced: 16 Aug
Round 2: 16 Aug - 1st Sept. Round 2 winners announced: 1st Sept
Round 3: 1st Sept – 14th Sept. Winner: announced: 16 Sept.
Media Contact: Claire Vince, Senior Publicist / 02 9250 7825 / 0401 711 531
Follow us on facebook – www.facebook.com/spring.dance to stay tuned to MyMutation updates
Follow the latest Sydney Opera House news on Twitter - @SOHnews gives you all the latest information, special offers as well as news from behind the scenes