13 November 2012
Sydney Opera House is the ultimate destination this summer day & night
With the warmth of summer beckoning, Sydney Opera House today announced its plans to enliven Bennelong Point with activities that will transform our most recognised and loved icon into an entertainment and culinary hub, day and night.
Over the next four months, Sydneysiders and tourists will be treated to a vast range of experiences set against the atmospheric backdrop of our striking harbour views.
Opera House CEO, Louise Herron, said today, “There is no other place like Sydney Opera House. Bennelong Point will undergo a spectacular transformation over the next four months as we prepare to welcome more than one million people in January alone. We have put together a substantial program of summer activities. There will be a fairground atmosphere with loads of entertainment options, including great food and free activities for children. I hope everyone is able to come during the summer to enjoy your Opera House.”
Summer at the House highlights:
• Over 80 performances at friendly price points, including free entertainment and activities for families, children and adults
• The popular school holiday Creative Play area will once again offer innovative hands-on activities for kids to enjoy – free, every day
• Live music, pop-up food stalls, free wifi and a Discount Box Office throughout January
• When the sun sets, Sydney Opera House will become a playground for grown-ups, offering signature cocktails and DJ entertainment
May we present…
Sydney Opera House is home to the best line-up of headline shows and family entertainment.
International dance sensation BLAZE is the ultimate night of family fun. Direct from London’s West End, this high voltage, theatrical spectacle fuses the raw energy and athleticism of dance with the world's hottest DJs. BLAZE features an international cast of some of the world’s best dancers set to music by Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Kanye West and David Guetta.
The lovable brother and sister pair, Charlie and Lola, will warm audiences with their Extremely New Play. Based on the books by Lauren Child and the popular BBC TV series, the stars of the hit show will be brought to life by a magical mix of puppets, live action and music. The magically witty play The Cat in the Hat will delight audiences young and old in the national theatre adaptation of the all-time favourite book by Dr. Seuss. Also captivating families will be the glow-in-the-dark undersea adventure, ImaginOcean.
An unmissable event for any music-lover, Neil Finn of Crowded House fame and Australian rock music legend, Paul Kelly will tour together for the first time. These iconic singer-songwriters and friends will share the stage to delve into their catalogues for an evening of back-to-back hits.
In addition to headline acts and performances, the Opera House summer entertainment program is full of comedy, theatre, music, talks and dance. Highlights include:
• Dr. Who – a symphonic spectacular of the iconic BBC series
• La Soirée – returning for another summer of fun. Expect the unexpected as new performers and old favourites take centre stage
• Sarah Blasko with the Sydney International Orchestra
• Tripod: Men of Substance – Australia’s favourite music comedy trio say they’ve grown up and become men. See for yourself in this long-awaited Sydney premiere
• My First Time – After running over two and half years in New York, the off Broadway hit My First Time is coming to Australia for the first time
• Elizabeth Gilbert: Life after Eat, Pray, Love – the author of the international bestseller will discuss the phenomenon that is Eat Pray Love and how her life has changed as a result
This summer, for one night only, the Opera House will transform its Concert Hall Northern Foyers – right inside the House, with unrivalled harbour views – into a giant bedroom. Last year this was the most unusual competition in town and once again the Big Summer Sleepover is offering winners the chance to sleep beneath the sails and slumber in the surrounds of the architectural masterpiece. Winners will be taken on a money-can’t-buy experience, including an exclusive VIP tour behind the scenes, private dinner and special meet and greets, as well as tickets to the must-see show for summer, BLAZE.
The World Heritage Listed Sydney Opera House welcomes over 8.2 million visitors on site every year. It hosts 1,800 performances attended by 1.4 million people each year and is one of the world’s busiest performing arts destinations.
For more information on Summer at the House, please visit: http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com
Keep up to date with Sydney Opera House by joining us on our Facebook page: Sydney Opera House.
Follow the latest Sydney Opera House news on Twitter. @SydOperaHouse gives you all the latest information, special offers as well as news from behind the scenes of Australia's busiest performing arts centre.
Find us on Instagram – @SydneyOperaHouse
Kate Huish / 0434 148 504 / email@example.com