Issued Wednesday, 22 November 2006
NEW 7 WONDERS WORLD TOUR TO VISIT SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE
SPECIAL FREE EVENT FOR ALL SYDNEYSIDERS ON 21 NOVEMBER, 6AM-9AM!
Be part of history, make your vote count and put Australia on top of the world, right where it belongs.
Sydney Opera House has been short-listed as one of the finalists for the New 7 Wonders of the World.
To celebrate our nomination and to encourage all Australians to vote for our House, we’re hosting a free public event on the FORECOURT, TUESDAY 21 NOVEMBER from 6am-9am.
Join us in welcoming the New 7 Wonders World Tour with an early morning sausage sizzle, listen to some great Aussie tunes, and munch on a piece of our giant lamington along with some iconic Australian celebrities. If you have an outlandish Sydney Opera House knick-knack, bring it along, as you’ll walk away with a prize!
Let your fingers support the nomination by casting your vote as we launch this important public campaign for Australians to unite and make Sydney Opera House one of the New 7 Wonders of the World.
A whole host of fun-filled Aussie flavoured activities are planned for the morning.
- Early morning sausage sizzle and Aussie music on the Forecourt
- Official ceremony with New 7 Wonders head, Bernard Weber and the Hon. Premier Iemma
- Live broadcast on the Forecourt with WSFM’s renowned duo Amanda & Jonesy
- Enjoy a piece of our giant Sydney Opera House-shaped lamington
- The chance to see the New 7 Wonders airship fly above the Sydney Opera House
- Dress in Aussie gear to winvaluable SOH performance tickets
- Take part in a photo opportunity which will be beamed across the globe
Don’t forget to bring your most outlandish SOH knick-knack for the chance to win the ultimate night at the House and other prizes! It could be a SOH-shaped oven mitt, or the crystal glass from which the Queen supped a gin and tonic at the 1973 opening of the House. You could win an evening of decadence: A-reserve tickets to an opening night at the opera, a private backstage tour, dinner at the superb Guillaume at Bennelong, finishing with a night at the luxurious Four Seasons Hotel.
Norman Gillespie, Sydney Opera House CEO, said, “We’re delighted with this nomination and invite you all to celebrate with us on Tuesday morning. Sydney Opera House is only 33 years old and is already mentioned in the same sentence as the Colosseum, the Taj Mahal and the Pyramids of Giza. If that isn’t a good enough reason for an early morning sausage sizzle, I don’t know what is!”
See you on the Sydney Opera House Forecourt next Tuesday!!
A Swiss-based organisation, the New 7 Wonders Foundation, was created to decide, by the first global public vote, the seven new wonders of the world. The New 7 Wonders Foundation was created in 2001 by Swiss adventurer Bernard Weber, and 50% of all net revenue raised by the New 7 Wonders Project will fund restoration efforts worldwide. The New 7 Wonders will be announced on 07.07.07.
There are three ways to vote:
- Via SMS text message, send ‘SOH’ to 1977 7717. Each text message costs $0.55.
- By phone, dial 1902 977 777 from any phone and follow the instructions. Each call costs $0.55 per minute.
- Online, visit www.new7wonders.com, register online, and vote for your New 7 Wonders of the World. Online voting is free.
The 21 finalist candidates for the New 7 Wonders of the World are:
- Acropolis, Athens, Greece
- Alhambra, Granada, Spain
- Angkor Wat, Angkor, Cambodia
- Chichen Itza, Yucatan, Mexico
- Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Colosseum, Rome, Italy
- Easter Island Statues, Easter Island, Chile
- Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
- Great Wall of China
- Hagia Sofia, Istanbul, Turkey
- Kiyomizu Temple, Kyoto, Japan
- The Kremlin/St. Basil’s, Moscow, Russia
- Machu Picchu, the Andes, Peru
- Neuschwanstein Castle, Füssen, Germany
- Petra, Jordan
- Pyramids of Giza, Giza, Egypt
- Statue of Liberty, New York, USA
- Stonehenge, Amesbury, England
- Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia
- Taj Mahal, Agra, India
- Timbuktu, Mali
More information is available at www.new7wonders.com.