2006 Media Releases - Corporate - Telephone Voting Now Live in Australia for the New 7 Wonders of the World
Print this page
Issued Monday, 7 August 2006
TELEPHONE VOTING NOW LIVE IN AUSTRALIA FOR THE NEW 7 WONDERS OF THE WORLD
Two new easy and fast ways to vote: send an SMS text message or call by phone!
Zurich/Switzerland, August 2, 2006—For Australian fans eager to participate in the final round of the New 7 Wonders of the World campaign, there are now two more simple ways to vote. The Sydney Opera House is one of the 21 finalist candidates and has aroused considerable interest for the project in Australia. Votes can be submitted until July 6, 2007. On July 7, 2007 – 07.07.07, the New 7 Wonders, as chosen by the people of the world, will be announced in a spectacular gala broadcast worldwide.
To vote by phone, dial 1902 977 777 from any phone and follow the instructions. Each call costs $0.55 per minute.
To vote for the Sydney Opera House via SMS text message, send “SOH” to 1977 7717. Each text message costs $0.55.
Bernard Weber, founder of the New7Wonders campaign, explains, "The New 7 Wonders of the World will be chosen based on the number of votes received from around the globe - people of Australia, let your voices be heard in this first-ever global vote!" Dr Norman Gillespie, CEO of Sydney Opera House said “We are delighted to be one of the finalists and as Australia’s only nomination we believe we will get the full support from Australians around the globe.”
The 21 finalist candidates for the New 7 Wonders of the World are:
- The Acropolis, in Athens, Greece
- The Alhambra, in Granada, Spain
- Angkor Wat, in Angkor, Cambodia
- Chichen Itza, in the Yucatan, Mexico
- Christ Redeemer, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- The Colosseum, in Rome, Italy
- The Easter Island Statues, on Easter Island, Chile
- The Eiffel Tower, in Paris, France
- The Great Wall, in China
- Hagia Sofia, in Istanbul, Turkey
- Kiyomizu Temple, in Kyoto, Japan
- The Kremlin/St. Basil’s, in Moscow, Russia
- Machu Picchu, in the Andes, Peru
- Neuschwanstein Castle, in Füssen, Germany
- Petra, in Jordan
- The Pyramids of Giza, in Giza, Egypt
- The Statue of Liberty, in New York, USA
- Stonehenge, in Amesbury, England
- The Sydney Opera House, in Sydney, Australia
- The Taj Mahal, in Agra, India
- Timbuktu, in Mali
Please visit www.new7wonders.com for more information and to vote online.