Sydney Opera House Trust recognises and supports the right of people with disabilities and older people to participate and be involved in the life of the community generally and the cultural life of Sydney in particular. The House policy for people with disabilities and older people is as follows:
- Sydney Opera House Trust will provide access to its services and facilities for people with disabilities and older people which facilitate integration and participation in the life of the community. Wherever possible, this access will be provided in ways similar to other members of the community and/or in ways that facilitate independence.
- Where unmodifiable physical barriers prevent the provision of equal services or access to facilities, Sydney Opera House will, where possible, provide alternative services or means of access;
- Sydney Opera House Trust aims to adhere, where possible, to the requirements of Australian Standards 1428.1 1993 and will ensure that any new construction work on its site adheres to these requirements;
- Sydney Opera House Trust will aim to provide continuous improvement to the services and facilities provided for people with disabilities and older people by monitoring community needs and introducing new technology or devices that assist people with disabilities to a more active participation;
- Sydney Opera House Trust will provide opportunities for people with disabilities and older people to participate and contribute to the decision making process in areas that will affect access or the provision of specific services to them;
- Sydney Opera House Trust will provide a safe physical environment for all of its customers and employees;
- All information about Sydney Opera House general facilities, services and activities will be made available to the whole community and will be provided in alternative formats or through alternative media to ensure that it is available to people with disabilities and older people;
- Where prices for goods and services are set by Sydney Opera House Trust, the Trust will ensure that people with disabilities and older people have the same range of choices in price for those goods or services as is available to other members of the community. Sydney Opera House Trust will ensure that hirers and contractors are aware of this policy and will advise, encourage and facilitate similar pricing policies for these hirers and contractors;
- Sydney Opera House Trust will promote recognition of the competence of, and enhance the image of, people with disabilities through the use of positive images and language in accordance with community guidelines; and
- The right to raise, and have resolved, any grievances about services or facilities at Sydney Opera House is available, without prejudice, to all customers, including people with disabilities and older people.