Community & Charitable Request Policy
Print this page
Community & Charity Request Policy
Sydney Opera House is proud to support community and charitable organisations where possible in accordance with our leadership role within the performing arts community. Sydney Opera House receives numerous requests for support from community and charity organisations for:
• Donations – donation of in-kind benefits and services in support of fundraising activities.
• Charitable Collections – permission to undertake charitable collections on site.
While requests may be for a worthy cause, Sydney Opera House must exercise due diligence in the management of its resources and assets and therefore is unable to provide support to all requests received. All requests for support will be assessed on a case by case basis in accordance with assessment criteria.
Please note, Sydney Opera House does not make cash donations.
Criteria for Donations
Sydney Opera House may agree to provide assistance for events or may agree to make a donation of in-kind benefits and services to genuine non-profit organisations or community/arts groups. Support may be provided if the requesting organisation fulfils one or more of the following purposes.
1. It contributes to the training and development of young artists both within NSW and nationally.
2. It contributes to art-form development as an investment in the future of the performing arts in Australia.
3. It supports the arts and Australian culture at a community level and more broadly in regional and rural NSW.
4. Support for current Government initiatives, including but not limited to, health, disability, Aboriginal, youth, education, Western Sydney and multicultural programs.
5. It provides an appropriate opportunity for Sydney Opera House to demonstrate leadership as a good corporate citizen.
6. It is consistent with the achievement of Sydney Opera House corporate goals.
• Artistic Excellence
• Community Engagement and Access
• A Vibrant and Sustainable Site
• Earning our Way.
In addition to the above criteria, decisions for support will be made with regard to the impact the support will have on Sydney Opera House resources, in accordance with Sydney Opera House, Government and public expectations of responsible resource and financial management.
Criteria for Charitable Collections
As per the Sydney Opera House By-law 2010, Part 2-9(1f), Sydney Opera House does not, in general, grant access to the site for the taking up of financial collections, however worthy the cause. Sydney Opera House is committed to ensuring that visitors and patrons are free to experience the Sydney Opera House without obstruction.
In exceptional circumstances, permission may be granted for the collection of donations where:
1. The collection is restricted to a particular event at the Sydney Opera House and its purpose is integral to that event (e.g. part of a fundraising concert); and/or
2. The collection is to raise funds for a performing arts related charitable organisation or to support performing artists.
Making a Request
Requests for support are to be made in writing via letter or email and directed to:
Charity Request Officer
Sydney Opera House
GPO Box 4274
Sydney NSW 2001
For detailed information, full conditions and approval processes, applicants should refer to the Community and Charity Request Policy and Guidelines