At Sydney Opera House, all our customers are very important to us, and we are committed to protecting all your personal details securely and sensitively, in accordance with the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
This Customer Privacy Statement outlines how we deal with your personal information, whether it is collected through Sydney Opera House's Contact Centre, in person at a Sydney Opera House Box Office, through an e-newsletter, through entering a competition, or through any online or other electronic media.
Sydney Opera House's Customer Privacy Statement is divided into the following sections:
- How is personal information collected?
- What personal information does Sydney Opera House collect?
- How is your personal information used by Sydney Opera House?
- How is your personal information provided to and used by Sydney Opera House?
- When and how can you opt out?
- Security of personal information
- Are there other circumstances where personal information will be given anyone else?
- How can you check and update your personal details and preferences?
- What are cookies and how does Sydney Opera House use them?
- Changes to the Privacy Statement
- What if I am concerned about a breach of privacy by Sydney Opera House?
1. How is personal information collected?
In order to provide quality service, Sydney Opera House offers customers the ability to purchase tickets and make philanthropic donations through four channels:
- A contact centre provides telephone, fax, email and mail services for performances, guided tours, donations and related packages;
- The philanthropy department provides telephone, fax and mail services for donations to Sydney Opera House;
- In person sales and donations are available through Sydney Opera House Box Offices and other locations at Sydney Opera House; and
- Sydney Opera House website provides an online sales and donation channel.
Sydney Opera House also provides an e-newsletter, conducts competitions and communicates with customers through various online and electronic media.
These channels reflect the various methods in which Sydney Opera House collects personal information about customers. Collection of information will occur at the time you provide information to Sydney Opera House.
2. What personal information does Sydney Opera House collect?
If you wish to purchase tickets or make a donation to Sydney Opera House through any of the four channels, we need you to provide information including your name, mailing address, telephone and other personal identifying information. The reason we need this information is so that we can contact you if events change, if we have difficulties with your transaction or need to contact you about a donation.
If you wish to browse Sydney Opera House's website for performance information, you will remain anonymous during your entire visit. However, when you engage in non-ticketing related online activities on the Sydney Opera House website, we may ask you to provide personal information. This is completely optional, except where a required stated field occurs, for you to engage in these activities. If you do not provide required data with respect to particular activity, you might not be able to engage in that activity.
When you look at the website of Sydney Opera House our web servers make a record of your visit and log the following information for anonymous, statistical purposes:
- Your computer's unique internet address
- The date and time of your visit
- The pages you accessed and documents downloaded
- The previous website you have visited to find our website - via search engine or a link on another website
- The type of browser and operating system you are using
- The amount of time spent on our website
This provides us with information about how the website is used and navigated, including number of hits, the frequency and duration of visits. It does not personally identify users.
If you sign up to our e-newsletter, enter a competition or communicate with us through any online or other electronic media we will need you to provide contact details and other personal information.
3. How is your personal information used by Sydney Opera House?
The personal information you supply helps us provide you with superior customer service and fulfil our functions under the Sydney Opera House Trust Act 1961. Sydney Opera House may use your personal information to:Sydney Opera House may use your personal information to:
- process and manage your purchase or donation;
- process your transaction under the terms of our credit card merchant agreements governing credit card transactions;
- contact you if we have difficulties with your transaction;
- contact you if events change;
- contact you regarding donations to Sydney Opera House;
- send you your tickets via mail;
- send you confirmation about your ticket booking, via email or fax;
- send you a receipt for your donation to Sydney Opera House;
- respond to requests or enquiries made by you;
- send out direct marketing material and fundraising news by email, if you have elected to receive them;
- send out Sydney Opera House newsletters and fundraising news by email, if you have elected to receive them;
- compile an anonymous consumer profile about you to enable Sydney Opera House to better serve you;
- correspond with you about a competition;
- send you marketing material;
- conduct research; and
- for fundraising purposes.
4. How is your personal information provided to and used by third parties?
When you book a ticket or donate to Sydney Opera House through any of Sydney Opera House’s four channels, or give information to Sydney Opera House for any other purpose, the personal information you provide will be entered into a database.
Our database is a customer relationship management system which is shared by Sydney Opera House and other Australian arts organisations (Organisations) who use a common customer relationship system known as Tessitura, for the purpose of ticketing and customer relationship management. The Organisations are able to view your name and contact details (address, email and phone numbers) when those details are given to Sydney Opera House and entered on the database. This is so that Sydney Opera House can process your current and future transactions as effectively as possible, and also helps ensure the speed and efficiency of any of your dealings with the organisation.
When you book tickets, make a donation to Sydney Opera House or otherwise provide us with your personal information, you consent to your name and contact details, which are entered on to the database, being disclosed to the Organisations.
The current Organisations are the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra, the Australian Chamber Orchestra, Bell Shakespeare Company, Opera Australia and Seymour Theatre Centre.
Unless you tell us otherwise (by opting out – see (5) below) you also consent to your name and contact details and other personal performance related information (such as performance and seating preferences, history of attendances and any other performance related information collected for marketing purposes) being shared with and used by the Organisations’, promoters, performing companies, corporate sponsors relating to those events you attend. This enables Sydney Opera House and other third parties to keep you informed of upcoming events and promotions that may be of interest.
If Sydney Opera House provides your personal performance related information to promoters of performing companies, sponsors or other third parties we require these organisations to agree to comply with our Customer Privacy Statement and with strict conditions and applicable laws governing how personal information is to be handled. Information relating to a donation to Sydney Opera House will not be shared with any third party, including any Organisation.
Sydney Opera House will not otherwise trade, sell or rent personal information about our customers to or with third parties.
5. When and how can you opt out?
If you wish only to receive information about your ticket purchase, donation to Sydney Opera House or as legally required, you may request that you do not receive other communications from Sydney Opera House or any other Organisation referred to above (that is: you may “opt out”).
If you wish to opt out you can do so by contacting the Privacy Contact Officer, Sydney Opera House on +61 2 9250 7111 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Sydney Opera House will activate your request as soon as reasonably possible.
6. Security of personal information
Sydney Opera House takes reasonable steps to protect all the personal information it receives. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format retained in accordance with Sydney Opera House records management policy. Only authorised personnel have access to our customer’s personal information, and work under strict controls and procedures.
7. Are there other circumstances where personal information will be given to anyone else?
There are some circumstances where Sydney Opera House will need to or be required to disclose personal information about you. We may need to disclose information to third party contractors and service providers to assist us to operate our business or to provide a service to you (i.e. service providers that assist us to send out our mail/email to customers). There may be other cases where we advise you at the time the information is collected that a third party will also receive that information. If Sydney Opera House engages contractors and service providers to handle personal information, we require these organisations and service providers to agree to comply with our Privacy Statement and with strict conditions governing how personal information is to be handled. Otherwise, Sydney Opera House will only disclose personal information if this is required by law or permitted under the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
8. How can you check and update your personal details and preferences?
You have the right to access and correct your personal information and privacy preference at any time. If you would like to update or delete your personal details, please contact Sydney Opera House:
(If you contact us via email, you will be sent one final email confirming your request has been processed.)
Telephone: +61 2 9250 7111 and ask for the Privacy Officer.
9. What are cookies and how does Sydney Opera House use them?
Sydney Opera House uses session cookies on its internet site.
A session cookie lets us know that you are the same person whenever you are on the website. Therefore if you select a particular performance and place it in the cart, when you go to the Box Office, we will be able to identify the performance you have chosen. Once you have closed down the browser, the cookie is destroyed and no personal information is maintained.
10. Changes to this Privacy Statement
Sydney Opera House Privacy Statement may change from time to time, particularly when new industry codes are introduced.
This statement was last updated in October 2012.
11. What if I am concerned about a breach of privacy by Sydney Opera House?
If you have any queries or concerns about the way Sydney Opera House has collected, stored, used or disclosed your personal information you should write to us as soon as possible and we will conduct a full review. Address your correspondence to:
Privacy Contact Officer
Sydney Opera House
GPO Box 4274
Sydney NSW 2001
Or Email: email@example.com
back to top