Handel & Haydn
Handel’s Coronation Anthems, full of ceremonial majesty, interspersed with three new orchestral interludes to bring the celebratory spirit into the present. Then it’s all the boldness and drama of Haydn’s famous Nelson Mass.
In the Sydney Town Hall | View Map | Sydney Philharmonia Choirs | Classical Music
COVID-safe and event information | Sydney Town Hall
- Masks are a must. To help keep everyone safe, the venue has asked that you wear a mask as a mandatory requirement of entry and during the performance. Masks will be from the Front of House team at the venue, should you need one.
- Getting to your seat. There are three entrances to the Sydney Town Hall. To help you find the right entrance door (A, B or C) at Sydney Town Hall, your ticket will display what door to enter from and which internal door to use. Follow the signs or ask one of the Front of House team to assist you.
- Box Office, Cloakroom & Bar. Sydney Philharmonia Choirs are being careful not to handle anything we don’t absolutely need to. This means we’re sending out e-tickets, and ticket collection at the Box Office will be limited. The Front of House team will direct you to your seat. There will be no bar however free bottled water will be available in the foyers and entrances which may be taken to your seat. The Box Office will be open at each performance to help you with any questions or issues. There will be a Customer Service Desk in the foyer area. There will be no cloakroom so we encourage you to leave bigger items at home.
- Leaving the venue. To manage the flow of people while exiting, you’ll be asked to remain in your seat at the end of the performance until you are asked to depart.
Tickets from $58* + $8.50 Booking Fee
|Ticket||Description & price|
|Standard||Adults aged 18+|
|Concession||Full-time Aust Student / Pensioner card holders (Aust. only)|
Prices correct at the time of publication and subject to change without notice. Exact prices will be displayed with seat selection. Children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied at all times
The authorised agencies for this event are Sydney Opera House and Sydney Philharmonia Choir. For more information about Authorised Agencies, see the FAQ below.
This performance will run for approximately 2 hours, including a 20-minute interval
Event duration is a guide only and may be subject to change.
In English | Wheelchair Accessible | No Language Barrier
If you have specific access requirements we can advise you about seating and getting to the venue. See the sections below or call our Box Office on (02) 8274 6200 or Sydney Opera House Box Office on (02) 9250 7777. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
Patrons who are deaf can book tickets via the Sydney Opera House by calling (at no cost) the National Relay Service:
● TTY users phone 13 36 77.
● Speak and listen (speech-to-speech relay) users phone 1300 555 727.
● Internet relay users connect to the Nation Relay Service.
Sydney Philharmonia Choirs performances are not Auslan Interpreted or Captioned performances. From time to time surtitles may be used. Lyrics are usually printed in program books, available at the venue and online up to a week before the performance.
Sydney Philharmonia Choirs is a National Affiliate of the National Companion Card Scheme. The Companion Card is recognised for all concerts in our 2022 Season and entitles the purchaser to a free ticket for their companion. Patrons holding a Companion Card can call us on (02) 8274 6200, or the Sydney Opera House priority line (02) 9250 7752.
SYDNEY TOWN HALL
You’ll find the accessible entrance via the Druitt Street entrance (opposite the Queen Victoria Building). Once inside Sydney Town Hall, all venues have an accessible path. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact us to discuss your requirements on (02) 8274 6200.
Patrons with Hearing Requirements
Centennial Hall (the main concert hall) is fitted with a hearing loop system. If you need help or want to check your equipment before the performance, a member of staff will be happy to help.
Patrons with Sight Impairment
Working/Guide dogs are welcome at Sydney Town Hall. To ensure appropriate seating is allocated please advise your requirements when booking. ‘Touch/Familiarisation’ tours of the building can also be arranged on request.
Suitable for ages 12+
Children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied at all times. Children aged 0-23 months at the time of a performance may be seated on a parent’s lap free of charge. All children occupying a seat or aged 2 year/s of age or older must hold a valid ticket.
Jubilation: Handel & Haydn
There’s nothing restrained about this program.
Handel’s Coronation Anthems, commissioned personally by George II, are in the grand ceremonial style – majestic music capturing all the pomp and splendour of the occasion. Haydn’s Nelson Mass is remarkable for its boldness and rich dramatic power.
And we bring the celebratory spirit into the present with three brand new orchestral interludes commissioned from emerging Sydney composers – Tomas Parrish-Chynoweth, Aiden Rosa and our own VOX singer, Aija Draguns. Sublime!
Deborah CHEETHAM & Matthew DOYLE Tarimi Nulay – Long time living here
George Frideric HANDEL Coronation Anthems:
The King Shall Rejoice
Tomas PARRISH-CHEYNOWETH The Fractured Crown*
HANDEL Zadok the Priest
Aidan ROSA Ineffable *
HANDEL Let Thy Hand Be Strengthened
Aija DRAGUNS Lavender Paper Cranes*
HANDEL My Heart is Inditing
Joseph HAYDN Nelson Mass
Brett Weymark conductor
Penelope Mills soprano
Russell Harcourt countertenor
Louis Hurley tenor
Christopher Richardson bass-baritone
Sydney Philharmonia Orchestra
Presented by Sydney Philharmonia Choirs
Consider making a donation to Sydney Philharmonia Choirs
Ticket + Donation
Purchase a ticket and make a donation to Sydney Philharmonia Choirs
Sydney Philharmonia Choirs will continue to apply NSW Public Health Orders as they relate to ticketing and seating arrangements.
To help you find the right entrance at Sydney Town Hall, we have indicated Door A, B or C on your ticket for easy reference. Follow the signs or ask one of our Front of House team to assist you.
On arrival, please check-in using the Service NSW app by scanning the QR code displayed at each entrance to the Sydney Town Hall. We encourage you to download the Service NSW app and link your Vaccination Certificate before you arrive for a quick and easy entry.
E-tickets are encouraged, and ticket collection at the Box Office will be limited. The Front of House team will direct you to your seat.
The Box Office at Sydney Town Hall will be open one hour prior to each performance to help you with any questions or issues.
There will be no cloakroom so we encourage you to leave bigger items at home. There will be no bar, however complimentary water will be available from the Front of House team.
- Wilson Parking has a number of parking stations close to Sydney Town Hall. We recommend St Andrew’s House Car Park, Queen Victoria Building Car Park and Citipark Car Park.
- Getting to the Sydney Town Hall on public transport is easy. Most Sydney Trains stop at Sydney Town Hall, and most CBD busses stop nearby.
- Plan your trip here or call Transport NSW on 131 500 for the latest advice and information on travel and COVID-19 safety measures.
Frequently Asked Questions - Performance and Venue
Will a program book with translations be available?
A free digital program book will be available to download on the Sydney Philharmonia Choirs’ website 1 week before the performance. A limited number of printed programs will be available for $5 at the event.
What time do I need to arrive before the event?
The Sydney Town Hall will open one hour ahead of the performance. E-tickets will be encouraged and ticket collection at the Box Office won’t be available. To maintain social distancing, please scan the QR code and follow the coloured zone on your ticket to take your seat as soon as you arrive to the Sydney Town Hall.
Is cloaking available?
The cloakroom at Sydney Town Hall is closed for the current time, so you are encouraged to leave bigger items at home.
Who are the authorised ticket sellers for this event?
The authorised agencies for this event are Sydney Philharmonia Choirs and Sydney Opera House. Only tickets purchased by authorised agencies should be considered reliable.
Will the bar be open?
To keep congregation to a minimum, bars will not be in operation, however complimentary water will be available from the Front of House team.
You may also like...
Frances Rings' first work as Bangarra Dance Theatre's Artistic Director is a ceremonial affirmation of history and heritage.
George Balanchine’s Jewels is a mesmerising and majestic three-part ballet thematically structured around the motifs of Emeralds, Rubies and Diamonds.
Join Opera Australia for Sydney’s best night out, with fireworks every night, take your seats under the stars.