We're opening up the Joan Sutherland Theatre and we'd like you to visit!
What goes into staging an opera? What does a costume feel like to wear? How are the sets and props made? How do wigs fit over your own hair? How does a makeup artist turn an ordinary Sydneysider into an extraordinary character? What causes the set and lighting to change at precisely the right moment? Find out all this and more at this free event.
Come armed with questions, as you’ll have the chance to talk to an opera singer, musician, conductor, director, stage manager, make-up artist, wig-knotter, dresser, and other talented people essential to every performance.
You might even find yourself making your singing debut at the Sydney Opera House.
Book for a timed session and then spend as much time as you like looking at the displays. We expect you'll want to spend about 60 minutes exploring.
In the theatre (sessions at 12:45pm, 1:45pm, 2:15pm and 3:15pm)
· Have you ever wanted to know what a stage manager does? We'll show you: you'll hear the stage manager's instructions, and watch how that plays out on stage.
· An opera singer, a musician from the Opera Australia Orchestra, a conductor, and a director will answer your questions. Ask them anything!
· Learn to sing an opera chorus
In the foyers
· Try on an opera costume
· Look at costumes, wigs, set models, props and scores up close
· Watch elaborate stage make-up applied step-by-step
· Watch one of our professional wig-knotters create a hand-made wig