Download the Work Health & Safety Policy as a pdf
A SAFE WORKPLACE
At Sydney Opera House we believe that a safe work place is essential for the well being of our people and our organisation. We are committed to ensuring a safe and healthy working environment for everyone who works at or visits Sydney Opera House.
HOW WILL WE DO IT?
We will operate in accordance with a safety management system based on risk management, consultation and safe behaviours.
A safe work place requires that we understand and are managing all of our risks. We will:
- Maintain a documented occupational health and safety system with procedures for identifying, assessing and controlling workplace hazards so far as is reasonably practicable.
- Implement and continuously improve safe systems of work.
- Require safe work practices from our co-workers, including commercial partners, resident companies, presenting partners, venue hirers, contractors and suppliers.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of their responsibilities with respect to safety legislation and our policies.
- Comply with all relevant safety laws, standards and codes of practice.
A safe work place requires that we all understand and are committed to our safety practices and procedures. We will:
- Facilitate consultation through nominated consultative groups.
- Consult with employees on the development, implementation and refinement of safety policies and procedures and review of work practices.
- Consult with commercial partners, resident companies, presenting partners, venue hirers, contractors and suppliers when planning work to ensure all parties fulfil their safety responsibilities.
A Positive Safety Culture
A safe work place requires the pro-active participation of all of us. We will:
- Ensure that our safety policies and procedures are effective.
- Provide appropriate safety resources and systems for all staff.
- Provide regular training on safety issues and procedures.
- Require all employees and other workers to accept a personal responsibility to work safely.
- Expect all employees to immediately report any health or safety issue.
- Measure and report on safety performance.
- Recognise and reward safe behaviour.
- Audit practices and procedures.
- Implement risk control measures identified to control and prevent occurrence of workplace incidents.
All workers, including staff, managers and supervisors, contractors, presenting partners and commercial partners will be held accountable for their safety performance in the areas within their control or influence.
This policy will be reviewed every two years, and at other times if any significant new information or legislative or organisational change warrants amendment to this document.