Finalisation of Sydney Opera House Building Renewal Program - Safety, Accessibility and Venue Enhancements Public Exhibition Process
The Commonwealth Department of the Environment and Energy (DEE) administers the EPBC Act, under which the Sydney Opera House is protected by Part 3, World & National Heritage Properties.
The Opera House’s current Renewal plans include a package of works which the DEE has determined to be a controlled action requiring assessment under the EPBC Act. The works include:
- Accessibility and venue upgrades to the Joan Sutherland Theatre;
- New eastern office accommodation;
- Replacement of the existing function centre (external marquee) with a new facility inside the building; and
- A new, secondary ballet rehearsal room.
The controlling provisions under Part 3 of the EPBC Act are ‘World Heritage Properties’ (sections 12 & 15A) and ‘National Heritage Places’ (section 15B & 15C).
In accordance with Section 95A(3) the documents related to the proposal were available for viewing and comment for a period of 10 business days; 10 April 17 to 26 April 2017. Following this period SOH has reviewed, considered and responded to the submissions made. A final Preliminary Documentation Report has been provided to the Department of Energy and Environment for their assessment and decision.
Pursuant to Section 95B (2) of the Act the final PDR will be exhibited for information only from 10 May 17 to 26 May 17 at the following locations:
- Sydney Opera House – Stage Door, Bennelong Point, Sydney NSW 2000
- State Library of NSW – Macquarie St, Sydney NSW 2000 (outside the Governor Marie Bashir Reading Room)
- NSW Department of Planning and Environment – Level 2, 320 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000
- Department of the Environment and Energy – 51 Allara St, Canberra City ACT 2601
It can also be viewed electronically by clicking on the links below:
Preliminary Documentation Report
Persons with special needs (i.e. for whom English is a second language or who has a vision impairment) may contact Sydney Opera House by email: PublicExhibition@sydneyoperahouse.com or phone: 02 9250 7559 for assistance accessing the material, without charge.