Sydney Opera House Building Renewal Program - Safety, Accessibility and Venue Enhancements (2016/7825).
The Commonwealth Department of the Environment and Energy (DEE) administers the EPBC Act, under which the Sydney Opera House is protected by Part 3, World & National Heritage Properties.
The Opera House’s current Renewal plans include a package of works which the DEE has determined to be a controlled action requiring assessment under the EPBC Act. The works include:
- Accessibility and venue upgrades to the Joan Sutherland Theatre;
- New eastern office accommodation;
- Replacement of the existing function centre (external marquee) with a new facility inside the building; and
- A new, secondary ballet rehearsal room.
The controlling provisions under Part 3 of the EPBC Act are ‘World Heritage Properties’ (sections 12 & 15A) and ‘National Heritage Places’ (section 15B & 15C). In accordance with Section 95A(3) the documents related to the proposal are available for viewing and comment for a period of 10 business days.
The preliminary documentation is available at:
- Sydney Opera House – Stage Door, Bennelong Point, Sydney NSW 2000
- State Library of NSW – Macquarie St, Sydney NSW 2000 (outside the Governor Marie Bashir Reading Room)
- NSW Department of Planning and Environment – Level 2, 320 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000
- Department of the Environment and Energy – 51 Allara St, Canberra City ACT 2601
It can also be viewed electronically by clicking on the links below:
Preliminary Documentation Report
Interested persons and organisations are invited to submit comments in writing to:
Renewal Public Exhibition, Sydney Opera House
GPO Box 4274, Sydney, NSW, 2001
Or by Email: PublicExhibition@sydneyoperahouse.com
Comments are to be received by close of business on Wednesday 26 April.
Persons with special needs (i.e. for whom English is a second language or who has a vision impairment) may contact Sydney Opera House by email: PublicExhibition@sydneyoperahouse.com or phone: 02 9250 7559 for assistance accessing the material, without charge.