Tubowgule’s present name of Bennelong Point honours Woollarawarre Bennelong, a senior Eora man at the time of the colonists’ arrival. Bennelong was kidnapped by the first Governor of New South Wales, Arthur Phillip, and served as an interlocutor between the Eora and the British, telling Governor Phillip the names of the clans around Sydney, as well as the name for Parramatta, which Phillip had initially called Rose Hill.
In 1790, Governor Phillip built a brick hut for Bennelong at his request, on what then became known as Bennelong Point. Bennelong, along with Yemmerrawanne, a member of the Wangal people, became the one of the first Aboriginal people to travel to London in 1792. He spent more than a year in the British capital and attended museums, the theatre at Covent Garden, and Houses of Parliament before returning to Sydney in 1795. Bennelong did not return to Tubowgule, instead living at Kissing Point with his third wife, Boorong. His hut was demolished and the bricks reused elsewhere.
In 1817, Governor Lachlan Macquarie ordered a fort to be built on Bennelong Point under the direction of architect and former convict Francis Greenway. Fort Macquarie was a square construction with circular bastions at each corner and a castellated square tower. The channel that at high tide separated the tidal island from the mainland was filled with rocks. The fort was completed in 1821.
In 1879, a precursor to the Opera House – a 900-seat theatre for comic opera and vaudeville – opened in a warehouse on the corner of King and York streets. It was condemned in 1900. Two years later, Fort Macquarie was also demolished and replaced by a tram shed.
This history is revealed through excavations on site. Archaeologists have uncovered seawalls, retaining walls, cuts, pick marks and drill marks – evidence of how this rocky outcrop has been shaped to meet the changing needs of the people who inhabit Sydney Cove.