31 May 2023
In the Studio
Vintage soul and gospel gets a modern pop twist in the dazzling sound of Budjerah, the ARIA-award-winning R&B sensation making his Sydney Opera House debut for Vivid LIVE.
|Wednesday 31 May
$8.95 booking fee applies per transaction.
The only authorised ticket agency for this event is the Sydney Opera House. For more information about Authorised Agencies, see the FAQ below. Children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied at all times. Children aged 0-23 months at the time of a performance may be seated on a parent’s lap free of charge. All children occupying a seat or aged 2 years of age must hold a valid ticket.
A maximum of six (6) tickets per customer are available for purchase. Tickets purchased in excess of a ticket limit may be cancelled without notice.
Sydney Opera House Insiders pre-sale
12pm, Tuesday 14 March 2023
What’s On e-newsletter on-sale
12pm, Wednesday 15 March 2023
General Public tickets on-sale
12pm, Friday 17 March 2023
The duration of this event is 70 minutes.
Event duration is a guide only and may be subject to change.
Recommended for ages 15+
Sydney Morning Herald
Budjerah is one of those artists whose lushly produced recorded output continually impresses, but who can entrance even more effectively with just an acoustic guitar and his soulful voice.
Old school soul meets next generation pop talent
In the space of a couple of years, 21-year-old singer-songwriter Budjerah has created a wave of buzz to become one of Australia’s hottest new music acts. Fresh off the release of his brand-new single, “Therapy”, and a tour in support of global superstar Ed Sheeran, the rising star is set to make his Sydney Opera House debut at Vivid LIVE, performing his distinctive mix of soulful, R&B-inflected pop in the Studio for one night only.
A Coodjinburra man from the Bundjalung nation, Budjerah Slabb was raised in a family as devoted to church as they were to music, and his warm, rich sound – forged from the elements of soul, gospel, R&B and contemporary pop – reflects the diversity of his influences. Mentored by singer-songwriter Matt Corby, Budjerah’s music flourished, producing his Triple J-topping debut single “Missing You” (2021) and his self-titled, ARIA-award-winning debut EP, which introduced the young artist’s distinctive, soulful voice – and R&B pop sound – to dazzled audiences around the country. In 2022, Budjerah scored a second ARIA for his follow-up, Conversations, guested on Sheeran’s smash hit “2Step”, and collaborated with local faves PNAU on “Stranger Love”.
With his new single, the boundary-pushing R&B/pop crossover “Therapy”, Budjerah is taking his sound to the next level – and you’re invited to the coronation.
Presented by Sydney Opera House
Our foyers will be open 90 minutes pre-show for Concert Hall and Joan Sutherland Theatre performances, and two hours pre-show for Western Foyer venue performances. Refreshments will be available for purchase from our theatre bars.
All Sydney Opera House foyers are pram accessible, with lifts to the main and western foyers. The public lift to all foyers is accessible from the corridor near the escalators on the Lower Concourse and also in the Western Foyer via the corridor on the Ground Level (at the top of the escalators). Pram parking will be available outside the theatres in the Western Foyer.
The Sydney Opera House Car Park, operated by Wilson Parking, is open and available to use. Wilson Parking offer discounted parking if you book ahead. Please see their website for details.
Please check the Transport NSW website for the latest advice and information on travel. You can catch public transport (bus, train, ferry) to Circular Quay and enjoy a six min walk to the Opera House.
The health and wellbeing of everyone attending the Opera House is our top priority. We’re committed to making your experience safe, comfortable and enjoyable, with a number of measures in place including regular cleaning of high-touch areas, air conditioning systems that maximise ventilation, and hand sanitiser stations positioned in all paths of travel. We remind our audiences and visitors to please stay home if you feel unwell. If you need to discuss your ticketing or booking options, contact our Box Office team on 02 9250 7777.
The health and wellbeing of everyone attending the Opera House is our top priority. We have a number of safety measures in place including regular cleaning of high-touch areas, air conditioning systems that maximise ventilation, and hand sanitiser stations positioned in all paths of travel. While face masks are no longer required, we ask all our patrons and visitors to practise good hygiene. Please stay home if you feel unwell and read more about our flexible ticket options.
The Sydney Opera House no longer requires patrons to show that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Frequently asked questions
- The Lighting of the Sails during Vivid Sydney is a free event. You will not need a ticket.
- If you are attending a performance as part of the Vivid LIVE program, a valid ticket is required. It’s highly recommended that you purchase tickets in advance.
- In line with our venue security procedures, Opera House security will be scanning and checking bags prior to entering the building. Bags will be scanned by an x-ray machine. Please travel lightly and do not bring items that require cloaking e.g. handbags bigger than A4-size, backpacks and umbrellas, which are not permitted inside our venues.
- Yes, cloaking will remain available but it is strongly encouraged that you travel lightly and leave large, bulky items at home. Cloakroom attendants will use disposable paper tickets to keep track of your items.
The health, safety and wellbeing of everyone at the Sydney Opera House is our top priority. In line with this commitment, the Opera House became a smoke-free site in January 2022. Read our Smoke-free Environment Policy.
- For patrons who are blind or have low vision, the Opera House will be hosting two audio-described sessions of this year’s images projected on to the sails on 13 and 15 June. For more information please visit the event page.
- A complimentary shuttle bus and buggy service will be in operation during Vivid Sydney. Please contact the Box Office to confirm operating hours on 02 9250 7777.
- Gig Buddies, an organisation that pairs adults with intellectual disability with volunteers to attend social events have been offered to attend Becca Hatch, Future Classic, Alfa Mist, Devonte Hynes and Ethel Cain. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sydney Opera House and Circular Quay precincts are very popular and attract large crowds during Vivid Sydney. Visitors are strongly encouraged to leave the car at home and use public transport wherever possible. During this time, there will be changes to transport timetables.
For further information, please visit Transport NSW’s Vivid Sydney page.
- The Sydney Opera House car park will be open every evening during Vivid Sydney, however it is expected to reach capacity early. Patrons are encouraged to use public transport and allow extra travel time.
- Please note that if you drive and arrive early for parking, you may not be able to exit if there are road closures in place.
- For detailed information on road closures during Vivid Sydney, please visit Live Traffic NSW.
Ticketholders are welcome to bring their own water bottle (as long as it isn’t made of glass) but no other food and drinks are permitted inside our venues.
The Opera House has a range of onsite bars and restaurants which are perfect for a quick snack or sit-down meal.
Cashless payment methods are strongly encouraged. Please bring a credit or debit card for any onsite purchases.
From teenage soul sensation to Sydney Opera House debutante, Triple J Unearthed High winner and breakout star JACOTÉNE is set to blow the Utzon Room away in her very first Vivid LIVE appearance.
Returning to the Sydney Opera House after her shimmering performances at Liminal and supporting Tkay Maidza, emerging R&B Maina Doe lights up the Utzon Room with her debut headline performance at Vivid LIVE.
Acclaimed singer-songwriter, Mercury Music Prize winner and reluctant voice of a generation, Arlo Parks returns to Australia with her indelibly dreamy and sensual soul – and a hotly anticipated new album.