November Forecourt Concert Series
Sydney – Wednesday 5 October, 2022. From 10 – 19 November, the Sydney Opera House will present a special outdoor concert series including two free concerts as part of its year-long 50th anniversary celebrations. Set beneath the iconic sails, the Forecourt will provide a stunning backdrop to a six-night showcase of vibrant contemporary music, in celebration of the Opera House’s five decades of creativity and inspiration.
The line-up includes:
- Ngaiire and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra (10 Nov) – a free, one-off performance by globally renowned future soul artist Ngaiire, joined by musicians from the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. The spectacle will draw on Ngaiire’s career and her latest, critically-acclaimed album, 3 – a musical exploration into experiences of journeying to her ancestral villages in Papua New Guinea.
- Fat Freddy’s Drop (11 Nov) – New Zealand soul fire collective Fat Freddy’s Drop return to the Opera House for a massive party under the stars. The seven-piece juggernaut will let loose with classics such as ‘Blackbird’ and ‘Shiverman’, as well as songs from their new bush-alchemy driven album WAIRUNGA, crafted during a secret outdoor performance deep in Ngāti Kahungunu country overlooking Waimarama.
- Tim Minchin (12 Nov) – the multi-hyphenate Australian superstar returns to the Opera House for a mega set of brilliant songs from his storied career with his 8-piece band. From rock ‘n’ roll and theatre to smash-hit TV shows and high-wire comedy, the accomplished singer, songwriter, musician, writer and actor has taken his talents to the world, including packing out Wembley Arena and the Royal Albert Hall, and co-writing hit West End musicals Matilda and Groundhog Day.
- Wanha! Journey To Arnhem (17 Nov) – this breathtaking free concert brings the timeless landscapes and sounds of Yolŋu Country to Gadigal Country, for audiences of all ages to experience storytelling, song, and traditional Yolŋu language and dance on the Opera House Forecourt. The vibrant night of music and culture will feature Djakapurra Munyarryun, Dhapanbal Yunupingu, the Andrew Gurruwiwi Band and more.
- Vance Joy (18 & 19 Nov) – ARIA award-winning folk-pop star Vance Joy returns to the Opera House for the first time in four years, performing music from his smash-hit 2022 album, Our Own Sweet Time, plus his intimate, anthemic hits. Joy will be joined by rising Australian pop musician Mia Wray, and Bundjalung descendent and ARIA award-nominated singer-songwriter Budjerah, whose blend of old-school soul and contemporary R&B has dazzled audiences across the country.
Sydney Opera House Head of Contemporary Music, Ben Marshall, says: “What a perfect way to welcome the start of a warm, optimistic summer in Sydney - by experiencing an incredible array of musical artists performing by the harbour on the steps of Sydney Opera House. Register for the free concerts, and get in quick for the paid ticketed ones, and come feel the communal joy of gathering together for music in the heart of our beautiful city.”
Beginning in October 2022, and culminating at its 50th birthday in 2023, the Opera House will celebrate five extraordinary decades of creativity with a year-long season of special events and performances for the whole community, supported by the NSW Government’s Blockbusters Funding initiative.
For media information, please contact:
Senior Communications Manager
0402 678 589